Tuesday 30 March 2010

TEN YEARS!!!

Right sit down and get comfy this is going to be a long one!


I'm doing a ultra long physio as I type to make up for the quite pitiful 5 mins I did last night with my eyes closed! Before I get into the happy ten years post tx stuff I just want a little moan... diabetes can you just fu*k off now please? 3 hypo's in 24 hours isn't big or clever, it's annoying and ruined my much needed sleep last night.


Anyhoo... happy, happy, happy... I'm now 10years (and one day!) post liver transplant and it feels so totally amazing to be able to say that, 10 years!


On Sunday I got a helium balloon saying thank you and wrote a letter and attached it to the balloon, big problem was that the letter acted as a weight and it wouldn't fly off. So I got a CD pen and wrote directly on the balloon, I tried to write with a gold pen first but it was practically ran out so I had to write over it which didn't look as good as I hoped but it's more about the thoughts. I let that go in the late afternoon which I did video but I can't seem to put on here right now. I've got some pics too but I can't get them on at the bottom, only the top so I will do a seperate blog for the pics!


I had a chinese lantern to set off at the party so I wrote the letter for my donor out on that and let it off in my garden at 9pm, I may post the letter on here or I may not, I haven't decided yet... anyway it went off into the sky and looked beautiful in the dark sky. A filmed it for a short while and then when I stopped me and my flatmate just watched it in silence. Just before I lit the lantern I lit a candle which I left burning til it went out which quite strangely was around 8am the next morning, roughly the time I got the call, felt quite peaceful, can't quite explain.


That night I also made rice crispie cakes... lots of rice crispie cakes, I got a bit confused and thought I didn't have enough chocolate and put 3x 150g bars in! That was enough to make 37, mostly with mini marshmellows, Yummyness. I also made 12 fairy cakes from a kit but then next day remembered 25people were meant to be coming to the party so I brought 12more and decorated them.


Didn't sleep to well that night, woke late but just about managed to get all my meds done in time for my Mum picking me up to go get the food. I had got this skin glue for sticking things to your body and stuck diamonties on my scar and took a picture and then got this on a photo cake which I decorated with the same stuff I used for my fairy and rice crispie cakes. Managed to get a parking fine in ASDA for forgetting to get a ticket even though we spent way over £5, my mum was like 'Right I don't care, I'm not letting them ruin today!'


We kinda performed mini miracles and by 4pm I just wanted to go to sleep. Also whilst performing these miricles I was forgettign to eat, so that was hypo number one, the other two were not caused by my stupidity though!


Party time was at 6.30pm but my family are always fashionably late so got there about 6.45pm not going to go through everything that happened as went on til about 11pm! But we chatted about the transplant and the past in general, we ate lots, we planted a tree and we let off two more chinese lanterns. We thought the last one was going to set fire to the next door neighbours garden as it didn't want to get in the air to start with but made it up in the end!


Last thing I did before most people went was cut the cake (was meant have candles but forgot to get them!) and me and my great-auntie wrapped it up for everyone! Everyone loved their little party bags especially my great auntie as I had put a little diabetic choc bar in there and she thought it was really thoughtful.


Most us women shed a tear or two or ten whilst writing the messages for the donor on the chiniese lanterns, my Mum's was the one that set me off. I can't remember exactly what it said but it was just really simple.



All in all a really good day, lots of reflection and celebration, love and thanks.






R.I.P. To My Donor - 1937 ~ 2000

2 comments:

  1. ohh Kate it sounds so lovely!
    The idea of writing messages was really great.
    Congrats on your liver birthday :D
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure your donor is up in heaven so glad that her liver went to such a lovely, thoughtful young lady like yourself.

    ReplyDelete